Search Engine Spamming : Things to be AvoidedTuesday, October 6, 2009 12:30
For many years Search Engine engineers strive to make the search engines perfect in order to provide accurate results. Still, a vast number of people have been trying to find loopholes so as to manipulate these results to serve their personal purpose. Remember, SEO is manipulation too but SEO can be considered as ‘Ethical Manipulation of Search Engine Results’ rather than spammed, irrelevant and unethical manipulation. Spamming of search engines could include all possible ways to cheat the search algorithm, an important thing is : these methods put your website at a very high risk of getting penalized or banned by search engines.
Another thing that can be considered is that spamming even harms the reputation of your domain hence completely bringing to a halt its potential to become a brand in the near future. I’m not referring to Search Engine spamming as Black Hat SEO here. Well, it is somewhat black-hat but is not exactly so very technical as the actual black-hat methods such as cloaking, doorway pages,etc..
The following techniques can be considered as included in ‘Search Engine Spamming’ :
- A website consisting of hidden text, i.e. the background is black and keywords in black which users may not necessarily see unless they select/highlight the text.
- Pages containing a large amount of keywords that are of no relation to the content or make the fact(keyword stuffing) look very obvious.
- Link Spamming – linking to other pages that are irrelevant/spammy and not of any use to a person browsing your page.
- Making use of site(directory/article) submission software to generate many different backlinks at the same time having no niche-relation.
- Misleading your users by claiming your site to be ‘xyz’ on other sites when actually it is ‘yzd’.
- Having title, meta tags with keywords that are not related to your content.
- Making use of the same meta tags in different pages having different content.
- Having multiple pages with almost identical content to increase the count of indexed pages.
- Making use of link farms to spam your links.
- Spamming forums/blogs and other such places with your links.
The decision of how you would like to promote your website is upon you. Whether you wish to make use of spamming techniques or ethical Search Engine Optimization techniques.
Search engines are becoming smarter as time passes. With the expected Google’s Caffeine update, spam is sure to be cut down tremendously. Ethical SEO can guarantee you long-term results. Spamming will be detected sooner or later by a search engine or by someone reporting your technique. According to me, there exists
1) Ethical SEO
2) Search Engine Spamming
3) Black-hat SEO
You either use the first one, or use any of the latter ones making the first one irrelevant to your marketing techniques. For the valid information Search Engines provide us, its our duty too to keep their indexes spam-free.
- Optimizing Images For Search Engines
- Three Linking Advices You Must Consider
- SEO Explained
- Seo & Getting Ranked In Bing
- Pagerank Sculpting And How The Nofollow Attribute Can Be Manipulated For Better Link Juice Distribution